Thursday, May 19, 2016

Caverns of the Snow Witch (preview) - Attempt 2

It's time to take a second crack at the preview of Caverns of the Snow Witch from Warlock magazine #2.  Last time I was done in by a bad Luck score.  Hopefully the dice are kinder to me this time around.

CHARACTER CREATION
I rolled a Skill of 11, a Stamina of 20, and a Luck of 12.  This is a great character, and only in the balls-hardest gamebooks (cough*CryptoftheSorcerer*cough) would you be disappointed with score like these.

THE ADVENTURE
Ice!  Caravans!  Yeti murders! Yes, the time has come for me to strap on my sword and venture into the frozen north to hunt down a murderous beast for a big sack o' gold.  Let's do it.

The first decision in the adventure is whether to cross an ice bridge.  Last time I had ignored it, but this time I decided to cross.  I had to Test my Luck to cross safely; the roll was successful, and I never discovered what would have happened had I failed.

After crossing the bridge, I was attacked by a pair of hungry Snow Wolves.  This being an Ian Livingstone joint, I had no option but to fight them one at a time.  One wolf managed to bite me twice (reducing my Stamina to 16), but they were otherwise unable to match my prowess.

(The choice at the beginning of the book seems to be a decision between a branch where you have to fight two monsters of low-to-medium difficulty, or a branch with a monster of medium-to-hard difficulty.  In most cases I'd opt to fight the medium-to-hard Mammoth, just because the fight is over more quickly.  Besides, if you can't beat the Mammoth you probably won't beat the Yeti either.)

Some surprisingly well-fed Snow Wolves


A blizzard sprang up, threatening to freeze me to death, but rather than build a shelter I decided to tough it out.  (Besides, who could ever carve an igloo with a sword?  What an absurd notion!)  The blizzard worsened (reducing my Stamina to 14) but still I pressed on.  This was a bad idea.  I had proven my manliness, but at the cost of getting frostbite in one arm.  A failed Luck test (against a Luck of 11!) meant that the frostbite was in my sword-arm.  This reduced my Skill to 8, my Stamina to 10, and my Stupidity to 8 billion.

After the blizzard ended I found a fur trapper's hut and went inside.  With little regard for the trapper's privacy I ate some stew, and also stole a warhammer and a spear from under his bed.  (The stew restored my Stamina, and I ate two more provisions to bump my Stamina back up to 20.)

Upon leaving the hut I followed the trapper's footprints, and found him just as he was being murdered by a Yeti - the same Yeti I had been tracking!  (How does the hero know that this is the Yeti he's searching for?  It's a bit of a stretch.)  Due to the frostbite in my arm I wasn't able to throw my spear at it, so I closed for hand-to-hand combat.

I'm afraid this one was a massacre.  I hit the Yeti once, and managed to strengthen the blow with a successful Luck test, but that was the peak of my success.  The Yeti slaughtered me, and I assume that my corpse is now hanging by the ankles in its lair Skywalker-style.

THE POST-GAME
I blame it all on the blog.  Because I need to write about my adventures, I feel obligated to explore new pathways.  That's why I crossed the ice bridge, and that's why I decided to plunge headfirst into a blizzard.  It's not smart play, but a quick game means a quick write-up, so it's not all bad.  Now I can go play some Legend of Zelda instead.

9 comments:

  1. With regard to your final comment, I tend to zip through the adventures that I have already covered in 'bullet points' before getting to the good stuff. Going off the 'best' path for the sake of novelty will end up IMO increasing tedium through meaning extra trips through the same book. YMMV though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's understandable, but one of the things I've tried to do with this blog to distinguish it from the other gamebook blogs out there is to cover the books in as much depth as I can. It makes for slow going, but it's not become tedious for me. I can't speak for my readers, but I'm doing this more for my own entertainment than yours.

      Delete
    2. I like it a lot, just to add another voice/datapoint!

      Delete
    3. The choice at the beginning of the book seems to be a decision between a branch where you have to fight two monsters of low-to-medium difficulty, or a branch with a monster of medium-to-hard difficulty. In most cases I'd opt to fight the medium-to-hard Mammoth, just because the fight is over more quickly.

      Going for the Mammoth also saves you the point of Luck you'd lose while Testing your Luck on the bridge. And, as you've already discovered, a low Luck can be bad for your health in this book.

      Delete
  2. I think I prefer the 'pseudo-woodcut' style art in the proper book version. Not that these illustrations are bad (though the Ice Demon in the first attempt looked a bit feeble) but the book has more of a unique look.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi.
    I have a relatively small ff collection of 13 books (including the 30th anniversary 'Blood of the Zombies') I was wondering which ones to acquire next as they are awesome and I want to expand my set. By the way this blog is really great and funny and long may it continue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard to say what you should get without knowing what you already have, but here's a short list of what I consider the Fighting Fantasy essentials:

      The Warlock of Firetop Mountain
      Citadel of Chaos
      Forest of Doom
      City of Thieves
      Deathtrap Dungeon
      House of Hell
      Creature of Havoc
      All 4 books of the Sorcery! epic.

      And some others that I rather like but wouldn't consider essential: Island of the Lizard King, Scorpion Swamp, Temple of Terror, Demons of the Deep, Beneath Nightmare Castle, Slaves of the Abyss, Vault of the Vampire.

      I haven't read much of the series beyond Book 40, so perhaps some other folks can recommend the best of the later books.

      Delete
    2. I think the FF books after #40 are kind of a second golden age. Mostly very hard (except for The Keep of the Lich Lord which is fun and characterful but very easy) but with a lot of atmosphere. I've played and recommend the following:

      Dead of Night
      Legend of the Shadow Warriors
      Siege of Sardath
      Return to Firetop Mountain (a sequel to The Warlock of Firetop Mountain)
      The Legend of Zagor (also a sequel to The Warlock of Firetop Mountain)

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the list. Apart from the sorcery books, there is only one (forest of doom) that I haven't got from your selection of essentials. Thank you for your help.

    ReplyDelete